What to Do If You Have Back Pain After a Car Accident

You should seek professional medical treatment if you have back pain after a car accident and visit the emergency room or a qualified physician immediately. If you feel pain several days after the accident, see your doctor for an exam. Your back may have a delayed reaction to the accident.

Do not delay getting treatment. The longer you wait to see a doctor or go to the ER after a car accident, the more difficult it becomes to prove that the accident caused back pain. Please understand that most primary care physicians are not going to provide ongoing care for car accidents, in most cases. 

If you believe someone else is at fault for the accident that led to your back pain, consult a car accident lawyer in Pensacola, Florida, like Tom Ueberschaer. We can recommend a qualified physician to provide the appropriate care. An attorney can review your case, identify fault and liability and help you calculate how much compensation you may qualify for. 

Common Back Injuries Related to Car Accidents

Car accidents often create a certain type of jarring on the back, neck, and head. Some of the most common types of back injuries include

  • Whiplash
  • Back sprain
  • Spinal disc damage or fractures
  • Degenerative disc disease
  • Muscle strain and chronic pain
  • Spinal cord damage
  • Back joint injuries
  • Disc herniation

Some injuries, such as back sprains, require little treatment or recovery. Others, such as spinal cord or spinal disc damage, may require extensive treatment, physical therapy or rehabilitation and a long recovery period. 

For this reason, you should never ignore back pain after a car accident. Even if you walk away from the accident, you should still visit the ER if you feel the slightest pain or discomfort in the upper or lower back. 

Remember that a car accident can cause delayed pain that you may not feel for several weeks or months after the accident. So, monitoring your back and reporting any pain you feel after the crash is important.

Schedule a Free Case Evaluation

Ask Tom Today!

Who Pays for Back Injuries After a Car Accident in Florida?

Florida is a “no-fault” state. Your insurance carrier is responsible for paying your initial medical bills. If you have auto insurance coverage in the state of Florida, you have a type of insurance called Personal Injury Protection (PIP). PIP pays 80% of your medical bills until you exceed the policy coverage limits.

Once you exceed the policy limits, your car accident attorney can help you explore other options for recovering your damages. Some options may include

  • Suing the at-fault party to recover the remainder of your damages
  • Filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company
  • Suing your own insurance company for uninsured or underinsured motorist benefits (UM) to recover the rest of your damages

Your lawyer will file a claim on your behalf to recover all your losses, such as medical bills, lost wages, disability, pain and suffering, property damage or punitive damages. Remember: Personal Injury Protection Laws allow you to sue for damages if you have suffered a severe back or neck injury because of a rear-end collision and have exceeded your PIP limits.

Hire Thomas J. Ueberschaer, P.A. to Represent You Today

When you are ready to move forward with your case, we are here to help you every step of the way. Thomas J. Ueberschaer, P.A. provides comprehensive legal services for victims of car accidents in Florida. Contact us today to get started with your claim.

We can answer your questions, address your concerns and work on your behalf to take on the insurance companies. To schedule a free case evaluation, call Tom Ueberschaer at 850-741-7381.