What Should I Do if I Get Injured at Work?

If you are injured at work, the first thing you should do is notify your employer. Once you notify them, your employer should help you fill out an accident report and start your workers’ compensation claim. The employer or their insurance should immediately authorize medical treatment for you. If there are delays you should consult a workers’ compensation attorney in Pensacola, Florida.

Thomas Ueberschaer can guide you through processing your medical records, filling out the report and filing the workplace accident claim. He can also help you avoid any mistakes in your report or filing and ensure that your employee rights are protected under Florida law. 

Follow These Steps If You Are Injured at Work

If you get injured at work, follow these steps to receive compensation for your medical bills and other accident-related damages.

1. Seek Medical Attention

For your safety and well-being, seek medical treatment immediately after a workplace accident or as soon as you experience pain or symptoms. Your employer or their insurance is supposed to authorize treatment. If your employer is not providing treatment in a timely manner, seek an attorney. Ask for copies of receipts, invoices or medical reports after your trip to the ER and any subsequent follow-up visits to the doctor.

Do not delay getting medical treatment. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to establish fault and liability and prove the work accident caused your injuries.

2. Fill Out an Accident Report

In addition to seeking medical care, the next step is to fill out an accident report. Your employer should already have a form available for you to fill out. 

Provide relevant details in the accident report such as

  • Date, time and location of the accident
  • Name, job title and department of employees involved in the accident
  • Names and contact information of witnesses
  • Events leading up to the accident or cause of the accident
  • Other details that support your claim

Make sure you get a copy of the accident report for you or your attorney. Your attorney can also fill out the report on your behalf to ensure its accuracy.

3. Submit a Workers’ Compensation Claim

After you get treatment for injuries and fill out an accident report, your employer is required to notify their own workers’ compensation claim to their insurance company. According to Florida Statute 440.185, your employer should file a claim within seven days of becoming aware of the accident. 

However, not all employers follow these guidelines. So, it is important for you or your attorney to follow up with your employer to make sure they filed a claim. Obtain a copy of the claim and check for accuracy. 

A new law (HB 837/SB 236) has reduced the time limit for filing complaints in general negligence cases from four years to two years. Don’t wait to file your claim.

Call Tom Today!

4. Consult a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Pensacola, Florida

Regardless of how clear-cut you believe your workers’ compensation case is or your ability to handle it, it never hurts to consult Tom Ueberschaer with a free phone call. He can give you the confidence that everything is being handled properly, your accident report and workers’ comp claim is error-free and the process is running smoothly.

Your attorney can also explore all options for getting you the best compensation for your injuries and other damages. They can conduct an independent investigation to determine if a personal injury claim may be a better option. Your lawyer can also defend your rights against parties that may not have your best interest.

Get a Free Consultation with a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Pensacola, Florida

If you were injured at work, you owe it to yourself to protect your rights and claim compensation for your injuries and other losses. Contact Thomas Ueberschaer for legal representation. Call 850-434-8778 to get a free consultation with a workers’ compensation attorney in Pensacola, Florida.